Mutation of property in Hyderabad: Here’s all you need to know.

Whether you have purchased a property, received one as a gift or after the demise of the current owner, it is crucial to update the details of the change in property ownership in revenue records. Mutation of property – also called patta or khata – is the process whereby the new ownership of the property is updated in land revenue records. This ensures civic bodies such as municipal corporations, municipalities or panchayats charge the property tax from the right owner.

To make the process of change in property ownership simpler, the Telangana government has integrated the property mutation process with the registration process through an automatic update of land and municipal records during property registration. Previously, after purchasing and registering a property, the buyer had to separately approach the municipal body for mutation.


Now, a “mutation fee” would be collected at the time of transfer of the property (registration) by way of sale or gift. However, no fee will be applicable in case of mortgage and lease deeds.

  • 5 tips to decide on investing in right property
  • 7 reasons to buy a brand new home

This essentially means that there is no need to do a separate mutation of a new property transaction in Hyderabad as land records would automatically be updated in revenue records as soon as the property registration takes place at the registration office.


Documents required for mutation: The duly filled-in application form, including details of applicant particulars, purchase/gift particulars, and property particulars, along with the mutation fee and supporting documents, need to be submitted at Mee-Seva or E-Seva centers.


In case of normal sale: Application form, Sale Deed Copy, Aadhaar Card, Pattadar Passbook, and receipt of up-to-date property tax payment.


In case of inheritance or Will: Death Certificate, Copy of Will or Succession Certificate, Indemnity bond on stamp paper of requisite value.


Always remember that mutation is invalid without a registered sale deed in someone’s name. It is also essential to check pahani or adangal entries from time to time to check the accuracy of the property record and if correct information has been updated.

Last updated on October 10, 2017

Recommended Blogs