The world population is growing at an alarming pace. More and more upcoming housing projects are developing high-rise apartment buildings to cater to the burgeoning demand for real estate combined with space constraints. This makes fire safety a critical consideration as the more people you have living in proximity to each other, the more chances of accidents that could cause a fire. Real estate builders and architects need to pay special attention to fire safety plans for apartment buildings to prevent untoward incidents and provide a safe living space.
In this article, we look at the fire safety measures required to keep apartments buildings safe:
1. High-rise buildings should have separate lifts for exclusive firemen use if a fire breaks out. The lift should be high-speed so that they can travel from the ground floor to the top floor faster than regular lifts.
2. Following the protocols laid out by The National Building Code, boiler room, corridor lights and fire dampers should be installed. There must be automatic sprinkler systems installed in parking and the basement where there is a high risk of combustible substances. Automatic smoke detectors, speaker mike and interlinked public address (2-way comms) should be present on every floor.
3. A good fire safety plan for an apartment building must include two staircase exits for quicker evacuation should an emergency strike. This is especially of paramount importance where the residential accommodation holds a capacity of 20 residents and exceeds 150 square meters of the floor area. To prevent the situation of a stampede or panicked rushing, the width of these staircases should be at least 2 meters.
4. If the height of an apartment building exceeds 25 meters, it should have diesel generators that can be used to extinguish the fire in case of a power failure.
5. Each high-rise apartment building should inform its residents about its safety plan and evacuation procedures. There should be regular fire drills so the residents know what to do if the time comes. Checking escape readiness is pivotal. Ensure that the emergency exit doors are always unlocked and there are no obstructions in the way of the escape plan.
We at Aparna Constructions have been building safe and comfortable gated community projects to elevate your living style. All our projects are built keeping fire safety plans for apartment buildings in mind with necessary approvals from the NBC. If you are hunting for your new abode, feel free to check our exciting projects here.
Give us a call and our sales team would be happy to bring you closer to your dream home.